This Americare Ambulance was being used to transport a patient and had to be abandoned.
Ambulance Transporting Patient Catches Fire, Forced to be Abandoned, MOSCOW, December 16, 2008 - At approximately 6:55 pm on December 16, 2008 a 2008 Chevy Ambulance with Americare Ambulance Service was enroute on US-59 South from Lufkin, with a patient being transported to St. Luke's Hospital in Houston. The ambulance was being driven by Ivan Farias, 29, of Lufkin. DPS Trooper Donny Akers was dispatched to the scene, in addition Volunteer firemen arrived to help extinguish the fire. According to Trooper Akers, the inverter box on the interior of the ambulance caught fire. The inverter box is a generator that powers medical equipment. The ambulance pulled over to the right of 59 and FM-350 in Moscow. The patient was loaded onto another ambulance that Americare dispatched to the scene and the patient transfer to Houston resumed. A wrecker service from Angelina County was summoned to recover the burned ambulance. The scene was cleared before 9 pm.
A director with Americare Ambulance Service inspects the ambulance.
Fire extinguisher powder coats much of the interior.
If you would like to comment on this story, we'd love to hear from you. Your name will be listed with your comment when it's posted in the Letters to the editor.