831 Shoreline Drive near Scenic Loop, June 14, 2014.
Home Burns Near Scenic Loop, INDIAN HILLS, June 14, 2014 - At around 2:25 am on June 14, 2014, a house fire was reported to the Polk County Sheriff's Office. Fire fighters from Scenic Loop, Livingston, and Onalaska were dispatched to 831 Shoreline Drive to find the home engulfed in flames. Additionally, Deputy Edward Thomas and Corporal Jacob Chapman with the Polk County Sheriff's Office were dispatched to investigate. The resident of the home, Michael Oman, 36, of Livingston, reportedly turned on the electric stove to light a cigarette. Oman then went to the bathroom to shave and forgot that the stove was turned on. The kitchen caught fire and the entire home burned. Heat from the burning home nearly caught the neighbor's home on fire. Firemen had the fire extinguished by around 4 am. Oman (whose dad, David Oman actually owned the home) is believed to have homeowner's insurance.
Resident Michael Oman lost a vehicle and his garage also burned down.
Scenic Loop firefighter Terri Mayer
Some stone columns at the front of the house remained standing.
If you would like to comment on this story, we'd love to hear from you. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the story subject in the subject line of your email, also list your name and town in your letter. Your letter will be posted in Letters to the Editor.