One man's carelessness costs resources and manpower.
Man Burns Trash and Then Much More, SCENIC LOOP, February 17, 2010 - Shortly before 1 pm on February 17, 2010, a Scenic Loop resident decided to burn some trash but ended up burning more than he bargained for when he left his burning trash to go inside. The problem is, the fire from his burning refuse spread to leaves which in turn led to a storage shed, burned it down, started burning another storage shed, and caught nearby trees of fire. The Scenic Loop Volunteer Fire Department sent three fire engines to the scene, in addition an ambulance from Americare Ambulance Service, and Deputy Christian Schanmier. Firemen were able to get the fire put out before the second storage shed was lost and the rest of the fire which had grown quite large. The carelessness of one man costed the county resources in manpower, wear and tear on volunteer fire equipment and resources, time for a Sheriff's Deputy that could've been used elsewhere, and time and fuel from Americare Ambulance Service.
Scenic Loop Fire Chief Donald Marlow says...
....IF YOU'RE GOING TO BURN:
• Only burn trash that is legal to burn
• Stay with your fire
• Keep a water hose ready and nearby
• Don't burn if winds are strong
• Rake leaves or other debris that could catch fire away before you start burning
Special thank you: Assignment Editor, Stash Anderson
What started as trash burning quickly spread to leaves, trees, and burned down a storage shed.
A Scenic Loop Fireman douses the remains of a storage shed that burned due to carelessness.
If you would like to comment on this story, we'd love to hear from you. Your name will be listed with your comment when it's posted in the Letters to the editor.