Backyard Trash Fire Spreads to Home, LEGGETT, January 5, 2018 - Shortly before 1 pm on January 5, 2018, Livingston Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to a house located at 9754 US-59 North to a house fire. When firemen arrived, the backside of the house was burning. The resident, 45 year old Rosemary Lynn Gray, was burning trash in the back yard and failed to take precautionary measures. The ground was a blanket of pine needles and leaves that easily caught fire and spread to the house. Firemen were able to put the fire out, but the backside of the house was heavily damaged and some belongings in the home were destroyed. Corporal Mark Dubose with the Polk County Sheriff's Office initiated an investigation into the incident. Fortunately, Gray and her kids were able to escape injury. Gray did not have insurance.
Remember what Scenic Loop Fire Chief Donald Marlow says: If you're going to burn something, rake around your pile BEFORE you start burning to keep you fire from spreading, have a water hose nearby and ready to use, stay with your fire until it's finished burning, only burn what is legal to burn, and don't try to burn a pile that's too large to manage.
Stop having to buy new tires every six months! FIX IT ONCE AND FOR ALL!
A pile of burning trash in the backyard smolders as Corporal Mark Dubose with the Polk County Sheriff's Office investigates.
Firemen remove damaged and ruined items from the home of Rosemary Gray.
A cat watched from under the neighboring house.
If you would like to comment on this story, we'd love to hear from you. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the story subject in the subject line of your email, also list your name and town in your letter. Your letter will be posted in Letters to the Editor.